Thursday, January 28, 2010

The new year so far has been, well.....BUSY!!

This new year started out a lot like last year. Sick. I just recently FINALLY got over an upper respiratory infection and let me tell you, it was NOT fun. I finally went to the doctor and he prescribed the antibiotic, Zpac and it worked wonders. I am starting to wonder why I didn't go to the doctor sooner. Anywho, once I felt like I was finally back to normal we got the most dreaded phone call. Aric's grandfather was dying.
Aric's grandfather, Papa, had been staying at Aric's parents house here in Montgomery the past few months so Aric's mother could care for him. He had not been well for sometime and could no longer care for himself. He lived by himself in Big Rapids, Michigan. (his wife had passed away just two years earlier in 2008) We tried to get over to his parents house to visit with him, but Papa had completely lost his hearing, so the times we did make it over there, it was extremely difficult to communicate with him.
We kind of expected this day to come soon but at the same time still shocked and saddened that it was here. The afternoon Aric's mother called us to let us know he only had a few more hours, we immediately headed that way. Aric's sisters left town as soon as they could and made the trek to Montgomery. Papa passed away on the afternoon of January 13, 2010. All of Aric's immediate family was there by his side. He went peacefully.
The short time I knew Aric's grandfather, I really grew to love him. He had so many neat stories and being born in raised in Brooklyn. NY, he still spoke a strong NY accent, which I thought was pretty cool. He was a WWII fighter pilot and later became very skilled in several areas of trade. Woodworking, automobiles and gardening. He could do ANYTHING, literally. He was extremely smart. I am not even touching the tip of the iceberg here in explaining what a wonderful person he was. He will be missed and I am praising the Lord that he is now with Jesus and no longer in any pain. Rest in peace, PaPa. We love you!

We had planned to go on a ski trip with the Leaders Club the weekend following Papa's death. Aric's mom wasn't going to plan any funeral services that weekend and encouraged us to go on this ski trip, so we did. I am going to spare many details about that weekend but let me just say, it was one thing after another. Anything and everything possible went wrong. It might as well have been a Griswold family vacation times ten!! And to top it off, we didn't even get to go skiing because it was raining almost the whole weekend. But, there is a silver lining, the adults did very well handling everything and the kids were wonderful. They were a little bummed they didn't get to go skiing but kept a good head on their shoulders and made the best of the rest of the weekend. This may, however, be the first, last Leaders' Club ski trip. :)

We got back from the ski trip safe and sound and the following weekend we were back on the road. Papa's funeral services were being held in Carbondale, Illinois, which is also were his final resting place is. We took the long haul up north this past Friday after work and arrived in Carbondale about 2 AM. His funeral service that afternoon was wonderful and memorable and I am so glad I was there. Sunday morning we all got up early and caravaned up to Central Michigan to have a memorial service there on Monday evening. That too, was very memorable. Aric and I decided at the last minute to go ahead and leave Monday evening since we had 14 hour drive ahead of us. We got 2 hours under our belt and had to stop. It was snowing like crazy and conditions were just too dangerous. We got up the next morning and got on the road only to be slowed down by frozen winshield washer fluid. After some nice people at a Chevy dealer helped us out, we were on the road again and made back home by 12 AM Tuesday morning. Now, I have to brag on Savannah. She did wonderful!! From Montgomery to Carbondale, is about 8 hours and she never fussed. When ever we would stop to use the bathroom or get gas, we would get her out and let her "stretch her legs". Once we left Carbondale to go to Michigan, it is another 8 hours. She started to fuss a little towards the end of the trip but it was also close to dinner time. The longest time she was in the car, was on the way home and she didn't get fussy until about Clanton, but poor baby had been in the car for about 12 hours. I was extremly pleased with her and it made the trip much more enjoyable.

I know I have typed a lot and I hope I haven't bored anyone but it has been crazy these past few weeks. I am SO GLAD to be home and am hoping things will be somewhat calm, at least for a little while.

Take care and God Bless!!

Emily

No comments: