Friday, May 7, 2010

Surgery day for Savannah

Today Savannah got tubes in her ears. We woke up at 4AM this morning, so we could leave by 5Am, so we could be at Children's South by 7Am. Whew! It has been a long day so far!
Once we arrived, we only waited about 10-15 minutes and then the triage nurse called us back. Took Savannah's vitals and then we had to go back out into the waiting room for a bit longer. We only waited about 10 more minutes and then we were called back to our room.
I have never been to Children's South before but have heard wonderful things about it. I must say I was pretty impressed once we got called back. The staff was wonderful, first and foremost. Very friendly and accomodating. The nurse that walked us to our room explained a couple of things to us first, since we had never been there before. First of all, they have this neat little area that is filled with toys just for the kids to play with while they are waiting for surgery. They have all kinds of toys too, not your typical doctor's office toys. They also have an area for parents to get refreshments. (sodas, coffee and snacks) Once we got back to the room it was very kid friendly and bright.
Savannah's nurse came back to go over some things with us and then the anesthesiologist (sp?) came back to introduce herself. Once again, everyone was SO friendly! Before I knew the OR nurse was ready for Savannah and I think I was more nervous than Savannah was! We handed her over and she did not shed one tear! Oh that made me feel ALOT better. The doctors and nurses kept saying how quickly the procedure would be, about 5-10 minutes and then 5-10 minutes of recovery and then she would be back in our arms. I had time to go get a coke, eat a honey bun, turn on the TV and then the doctor was back saying they were done!
Savannah was back in our arms within a few minutes and she was doing great. A little woozy but doing well. After a minute or two she lifted her head and started "talking" to us. After a few more minutes of recovery time, the nurse said we were good to go. Of course on the way home she was out like a light. She has now woken up from her nap and seems just as happy as she can be. I am very relieved that this procedure went so well! I have to admit I was a little nervous. Even though I have received positive feedback about this from friends, I couldn't help but have those nervous emotions that any mother would have.
Now, I will just have to see how the next few days go. I hear they can be a little rough.
Thanks to everyone who has offered prayers and support. It really means a lot to us. :)

I am going to try and get some chores done now. We are having the in-laws over for a Mothers Day cookout tomorrow! (fun times!)

God bless and have a wonderful afternoon everyone!! :)

Love,
Emily

1 comment:

Amanda Mathis said...

That is so wonderful!!! She is a champ :) Please keep us posted.